If you focus your attention on the activities that rank in the top 20 percent of importance, you will have an 80 percent return on your effort. (This is the Pareto principle.)
Order your life by the three Rs (requirement, return, reward).
- Always begin with what your boss requires of you. Either do it or delegate. Your job is to see that it’s delivered.
- Focus on what gives the greatest return. Spend most of your time working in your areas of greatest strength. Engage others to help with necessary things not in your area of strength.
- Focus on what gives the greatest reward. Don’t accept all opportunities.
- In reviewing the projects currently on your schedule, which are the top 20% in importance?
- How much of your time do you devote to the top 20% of your projects?
- To what degree do you focus on what your boss requires? How often do you focus on what God requires?
- How much of your time do you spend on tasks that bring the greatest return?
- When an opportunity comes, what criteria do you use to decide if you will take it? What can you do to see opportunities from God’s perspective?