Revelation ends with a series of warnings (Rev 22:12-21).
They remind us that:
- The words are true.
- There will be punishment for removing any of the words or adding to them.
- Judgment is coming.
- We should only worship God.
Consider the nature of the people in the crowds around Jesus as He shared the parables in Luke 15.
- Publicans: social outcasts of their day, notoriously dishonest, gathered more taxes than Rome required
- Sinners: those who everyone knew had “missed the mark” regarding righteousness
- Pharisees: zealots who were outwardly religious, strived to impress others, condemned others, avoided even touching sinners
- Scribes: spent time copying scriptures, others accepted them as experts, their attitudes were similar to those of the Pharisees
Paul ended his letter with a focus on the future. He knew that hope for the future gave power in the present. Notice what that future focus does.